Sunday, May 20, 2007

Interesting article: "Goth like me: Teens embrace subculture"

A friend sent me a link to this article: "Goth like me: Teens embrace subculture" from the Bristol Herald Courier out of Bristol, VA.

Obviously, they picked the person with the most negative view of the goth subculture to provide the counterpoint for the article, but it does give you a great idea of how people determine books by their covers. This also provides another example of subcultures breaking into the mainstream. It's happening, and for once the Church needs to be ahead of the curve instead of struggling to catch up.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't even begin to list everything that's wrong with this article.

I think my favorite part is the statement that a major component of being "goth" is listening to death metal.

Death metal.

Not goth. Not industrial. Not death rock. Not even synthpop.

Death metal.

*bangs head against desk*

Your comment, Lucas, is the most accurate and intelligent thing here:
"It's happening, and for once the Church needs to be ahead of the curve instead of struggling to catch up."

Lucas said...

I think we'll always have to deal with misunderstandings and misrepresentations of our subcultures, Michael, and that is what necessitates our working with the Church and the public in general to foster understanding. I pray that we can all focus our efforts on educating people rather than becoming angered by their ignorance.

Your Dandy said...

I am very aware of the misconceptions of various subcultures being that I've been involved now for [ahem] years and even today the "normies" within the modern Church continue to hold small or even gross misconceptions about what we are. And, to be honest, we're not helping either. Not to sound like an activist, but we have a lot of avenues at our disposal to show the world that not all members of a particular subculture are "degenerate", "evil", "satanic", etc.

For within my role within Those Who Mourn, a DC-based Christian Goth community/outreach, I feel it's important to let the unsaved know that we're not going to condemn them, inasmuch as it's important to let the churched know that we're as much a part of the Body of Christ as they are.

And BTW, I listen to death metal and consider myself "gothic metalhead". Sorry to buck the trend ;)

Phil
Those Who Mourn